Saturday, 26 September 2015

Book review - Devils Day - Kyle M Scott


Right, where do I start with this? Its not often that I'm stuck for something to say, but this book left me speechless!!

Welcome to Halloween 1984, Blackhaven, A sleepy little town where nothing exciting really happens. However the town has a dark secret. A secret that one of the old time residents, Mr Winslow is more than happy to share with anyone that will listen.

Our story follows the Somerville family. Teenager Emma, her younger brother Timmy, and their mom and dad. Timmy loves Halloween, the whole town is getting ready for the festivities when it is hit my a storm, its also hit by a series of unwelcome newcomers.

I don't want to say too much and give anything away with this book as its a fantastic and entirely gripping story. As the plot unfolds, so does the carnage right up to a fantastic climax that will leave you open mouthed.

Two things struck me about this story; How well the scene is set. It really manages to capture and pull you into that feeling of an 80s retro style scary movie, and the non-linear story line. Just as you think you have it sussed, it throws off into a different direction  and someone you think may be safe cops it in the most horrible manner.

I have read other pieces by this author but as Devils Day is his first full length novel, I thought that this would be the best place to start. With that in mind, I will be 100% pursuing this writers work. His intense and accurate descriptions stand out, no, leap out and jump down your throat.

In summary, an absolutely fantastic book. Brilliant character build up, compelling story line and in parts, truly horrifying. Any true horror fan should have this in their collection.

Don't take my word for it, go read it.



No comments:

Post a Comment